Fort is a star shaped fortress on an important promontory in Waterford Harbour.
It was built in 1558 in the expectation of an attack on the area by the Spanish
Armada, it resisted long sieges in the 1600s. King William and King James II
took ship here after Battle of the Boyne 1690. The Fort is surrounded by a 30 ft high dry moat and has one of the
oldest lighthouses of its kind in Ireland. All the mjor buildings in the Fort
surround a parade ground. A walk around the outer ramparts afford spectacular
views across the estuary to Co. Waterford and down to Hook Head. Located at a
lower level than the moat is the croppy boy cell. After the 1798 rebellion,
prisoners were detained here pending transfer to Geneva Barracks for trial and
An added attraction from 2002 is the
Maritime Museum which charts
the maritime history of one of the most dangerous coastlines in Ireland, the
Duncannon Wreck, lies on Duncannon Bar on the western edge of the main
shipping channel into Waterford harbour. the wooden hull lies almost
intact below the seabed with the breech ends of he cannons exposed. The
site extends for 35 m and is orientated n-n-w/s-s-e. it lies on the
side slope of the main navigation channel at a depth of 8m at high water.
Through natural and man-generated water movement the wreck is exposed and
covered intermittently by silt and sand throughout the year.